Fiber material

Ghana: “Investigate the improper installation of Vodafone Fiber Broadband”

The Ministry of Communications has been asked to investigate the improper installation of some Vodafone Ghana fiber optic broadband in the country.

According to Mr. Terry Ampofo, a customer of Vodafone Ghana, the improper installation of the system at Ashale Botwe, Accra, is said to have resulted in the death of his younger brother, Michael Yaw Twum Ampofo, last year.

He claimed that Vodafone’s fiber optic broadband cable was installed closer to an 11,000 volt high voltage cable from the Ghana Electricity Company (ECG), in line with international standards.

Speaking to reporters in Accra on Monday, Mr Ampofo said an expert report confirmed his brother’s death was the result of improper installation of the Vodafone Ghana system in his house.

Mr Ampofo said Vodafone had rebuffed all attempts by the family to seek compensation for the brother’s death.

He said the Vodafone Ghana facility also posed a danger to his family and that several attempts to draw the company’s attention to the danger had failed.

“Experts have confirmed that the metal running along the fiber cable should not enter the premises. The fiber cable alone cannot carry electricity, but these Vodafone fiber cables are equipped with metal stiffeners,

“When a person touches the electrical cable, the insulating material can be exposed and transmit electricity to the premises. It is easy for a customer to accidentally touch the exposed metal, which is left very close to the routers and can lead to injury. serious or even dead, which happened to my brother,” Mr. Ampofo said.

He urged regulators to ensure that Vodafone Ghana adheres to the best standards to avoid innocent deaths.

Mr Ampofo also advised Vodafone customers to check if fiber broadband cables have been installed according to international standards to avoid any danger.

Meanwhile, Vodafone Ghana’s corporate communications team issued a statement reacting to Mr Ampofo’s allegations after the press conference and acknowledged having knowledge of the incident.

It read “We are aware of the unfortunate event which led to the death of the late Ampofo at AshaleyBotwe, Greater Accra on 19th February 2021.”

The statement read “We are saddened by the incident and have offered our sincere condolences to the family. We have cooperated fully and transparently with all relevant agencies throughout the investigation process.”

He explained that on October 22, 2021, the authorized representative of the deceased filed a lawsuit against Vodafone Ghana.

He said the case is currently before the courts and was therefore unable to comment further on the matter.

The statement assured that Vodafone Ghana will continue to provide infrastructure under strict security procedures and in accordance with laws and regulations.